Type to search

Black Mold and Its Effects on Health


Black Mold and Its Effects on Health


A type of fungus, black mold is black or dark green and has a very musty smell. It grows on a surface that holds much cellulose, such as gypsum, fiberboard, wood, or paper. Mold builds in a damp and warm environment and grows at the place where it finds the right condition. Moreover, black mold multiplies in humid areas such as a laundry room or bathroom. It can also grow in areas that a person cannot see easily, such as inside water pipes and under carpets.

Black Mold and Its Effects on Health 1

Black mold is dangerous as it releases harmful toxins into the surrounding atmosphere. Inhaling them is not at all good for health. People with weak immune systems easily fall prey to the adverse effects of mold.

People can also suffer from black mold poisoning if it is inhaled regularly. Symptoms of black mold poisoning include:

  • Upper respiratory tract infection
  • Flu or common cold
  • Wheezing
  • Coughing
  • Runny nose
  • Stuffy nose
  • Itchy skin
  • Red eyes
  • Itchy eyes
  • Nose-bleeds
  • Sore throat

If a person is already having respiratory problems such as asthma, then inhaling mold particles present in the air can worsen their problems. They may also suffer from new health issues such as:

  • General fatigue and lethargy
  • Difficulty in breathing
  • Frequent chest blockage
  • Inflammation of the sinuses
  • Persistent coughing
  • Headache

Furthermore, prolonged exposure to toxins can suffer from severe symptoms such as:

  • Lack of concentration
  • Memory Loss
  • Anxiety
  • Sensitivity to light
  • General pain and cramps
  • Numbness in feet and hands (Nerve issues)
  • Unexplained weight gain

People who are already suffering from the following problems need to avoid exposure to black mold.

  • Mold allergies
  • Weak immune system
  • Seasonal allergies, such as hay fever
  • COPD(Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

When it comes to children, extra care needs to be taken as black mold is very harmful. According to research, those children who inhale mold particles and toxins develop asthma at an early stage of life. So, those children who have a family history of asthma should not live in a mold affected area.

As responsible parents, you should keep a check on mold growth, especially in bathrooms. Your children deserve the best and healthy environment for proper physical and mental growth. It is also your duty towards your aged parents to give them a house free of any allergy causing fungus and bacteria.

So, I prefer hiring an air quality inspection and mold removal company when you find mold or any symptom of mold in your house. Mold removal experts have years of experience and know-how to remove and throw mold out of the home. They do it so carefully that no particle of mold is left behind. If professionals are not hired and do it by themselves, then chances are there that mold will grow again. It is so because you don’t have adequate tools and chemicals required to remove mold.

Samuel J. Morales

Beer geek. Tv trailblazer. Passionate internet practitioner. Gamer. Lifelong introvert. At the moment I'm working with tar in Africa. Spent 2001-2005 getting to know junk bonds in Minneapolis, MN. In 2008 I was marketing squirt guns in Naples, FL. Earned praised for my work selling pond scum in Minneapolis, MN. Set new standards for merchandising action figures in Miami, FL. Earned praised for my work implementing sock monkeys in Prescott, AZ.